Tuesday, June 14, 2005

 

A Shout Out to My Taggers

Hey, it’s great to know I’m tag-worthy. Thanks to both Lance and Bonnie for tagging me with the following questions.

Total number of books owned, ever: I dunno, a couple hundred I guess.

Last book I bought: I just recently bought two from Amazon. The first is called Putting Amazing Back Into Grace and was written by Michael Horton. I made it about half way through this one, and I think that’s about as far as I will get. It turns out Mr. Horton’s definition of grace is completely predicated upon a belief in predestination. Bummer. My other recent purchase is Following Jesus by N.T. Wright. Wright is upsetting some self-righteous religious folks so I took that as a good sign. So far, I dig the book. It’s got some interesting ideas in it. I’m not real well versed in Wright’s work yet, but he seems to be a thought-provoking writer.

Last book I read: Blue Like Jazz by Don Miller. I guess Don most closely fits the postmodern, emergent church type. His politics are left of mine, but nonetheless I would highly recommend this one. While I found it quite easy to read, it really affected me in a positive way. It is written in a refreshing and honest narrative style and it rejuvenated me spiritually while reading it.

Five books that mean a lot to me:

1) Mere Christianity: I read this one about three years ago shortly after moving out to Colorado. I was lost. My faith was entering a crisis. Actually, it had been moving in that direction for a while. Skeptical arguments against Christianity started to weigh on me, and I was becoming unsure as to the intellectual strength of my faith. My worldview was about to crumble… Enter C.S. Lewis. Exit doubt.

2) Orthodoxy: I’m not even sure how I wound up reading a book written more than one hundred years ago with such a dry name. I think I picked it up solely based on the reference to it by C.S. Lewis. Man, this book is anything but dry. Chesterton is hilarious. I mean, like, so witty I actually laughed out loud reading certain sections. I’ve also read Everlasting Man (which is also very good), but I’ve got to say Orthodoxy is the real masterpiece.

3) What’s So Amazing About Grace: Philip Yancey really won me over big time with this one. Grace is such a mind-blowing concept, and Yancey really brings it to fruition in this gem. It is destined to be a milestone. I thought that when I first read it and I’m even more convinced of that now.

4) Jesus Among Other Gods: I like Ravi Zacharias and this one is his best in my opinion. The title is pretty much self-explanatory. Not a thorough apologetic exposition by any means, but a great little book containing strong reasoning and great emotional appeal.

5) When Character Was King – A Story of Ronald Reagan: Peggy Noonan is a fantastic writer. I marvel at her ability to articulate such smart, big ideas in such an effortless manner. So when I saw she had written a biographical portrait of my one of my favorite Presidents, I had little doubt it would be a keeper. But reading about the life of this incredible man created a sense of awe beyond what I had anticipated. Reagan was the embodiment of authenticity and character. And those traits are perfectly captured in this portrayal by the Gipper’s former speechwriter.

I’m not one to pass these sorts of things on. So I’m very sorry if that disrupts the flow here. However, I found this little exercise to be quite instructive and introspective and would encourage readers out there to take part.

Comments:
Thanks for "playing," Chad. I enjoyed learning what you like to read and why :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?