Tuesday, May 24, 2005

 

Bumper Sticker Ideology II

The U.S. Presidential election has long since passed, but I'm still seeing a whole lot of fantastic bumper stickers around town. Being that I live in the city, I am not particularly surprised to be surrounded by Bush hater stickers. A while back, they even inspired me to write this post: Bumper Sticker Ideology. These slogans are all pretty amusing, but this is my personal favorite:



I just don't get the point of these things. Did this actually sway someone's vote? Do they figure that some uninformed voter is finally going to see the light and say, "I had no idea his family values are missles, what a terrible man!" I'm all for keeping things simple, but if you can summarize the thrust of your political ideology into one phrase, you may want to consider broadening the range of your ideas and political dialogue a bit... Just a thought.

Comments:
I'm not sure that even the most eloquent bumper sticker (or series of bumper stickers) would change anyone's political viewpoints, much less the views of an average conservatively-leaning driver. Not even lengthy dialogues with excellent points and hard facts can do that, so how much can be expected of a fleeting bit of opinionizing?

Likely their usefulness extends only to make the owner feel like his views are validly expressed (advertised?), and to entertain his fellow and like-minded compatriots as they are driving. Or supposed to be driving.

I have to say, however, that the fact that you've paid attention enough to write about them does hint at a more subtle sort of subterfuge taking place. Perhaps these little pieces of bumper advertising are insinuating their pointed messages to the conservative public more successfully than one would think.

Makes that $2 per sticker sound like a good investment.
Doesn't it?
 
Oh, believe me, I am entirely entertained as well by such stickers. The sheer comedy value alone contained within the $2 sticker is well worth it. So, yeah, I agree, it is a fantastic investment. (Although I suspect not for the reasons you would think.)

However, the only possible subterfuge going on here is in making the witness of such sloganeering think there is a complete lack of those "excellent points and hard facts" behind it. Rather it would seem to espouse a completely simple-minded approach to "solving" very difficult and complicated dilemmas.
 
Keep up the good work »
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?