Wednesday, March 23, 2005

 

What's in a Name?

So now I turn to the oft-asked question, “How did you come up with the name PlaidBerry and what does it mean?”

PlaidBerry was the name I gave to a short-lived rock band I started during high school (FYI - I play guitar and write songs, though now only sporadically). It was an offshoot of the critically-acclaimed band Roadkill who hit it big with the underground juggernaut “If the Booze Don’t Getcha’ (the Music Will)”. Sorry, that last sentence is largely fabricated, but there are about five old friends out there who may find it mildly amusing. No more inside jokes – I promise.

Actually, PlaidBerry turned out to be not much of a band, but more of a concept for a band that didn’t quite materialize. So what did the name mean? Well, nothing much, it just sounded cool.

When it came to naming the blog, I had some inkling that it would now be applicable in a whole new dimension. Though I had no idea what exactly that meant – other than vague thoughts about spiritual fruit and the fact that I liked the visualization it provided. And that’s where C.S. Lewis, as he so often does, burst onto the scene to reveal insights to me as to what on earth I was thinking.

In Reflections On the Psalms, Lewis mentions Plato's discussions about the fate of goodness in an evil and misunderstanding world. He then speculates as to Plato's hypothetical reaction if he were to find out about the Passion story of Christ (an event that of course occurred after all of Plato's pontifications):

I see...so that was what I was really thinking about. Of course. That is what my words really meant, and I never knew it.

No doubt mine is a very liberal adaptation of this theory of "second meanings", but it fits. I had no idea what PlaidBerry meant initially, but now I do.

The following is a description of my primary aspiration with PlaidBerry. “Plaid” is a metaphor to represent the fabric of society and how we should aspire to comprehend all cultural issues from a consistent, interwoven spiritual perspective. Joe Carter articulates this goal well with this statement: "we have to become cultural missionaries, translating the components of our worldview in a way that can be understood by our opponents."

By so doing, we can expect to bear good “fruits” in the form of positive changes in the community around us. This post at Reasons Why does a good job of explaining what it means to bear good fruit/result/product and how to spot the fruit of a false prophet.

Too abstract for those of you left-brained folks? Sorry, but I like it better than the previous explanation of “I dunno”. (Disclaimer: There is also some stuff on this blog that has absolutely nothing to do with spirituality or the quest for any deeper meaning.)

And that is the tale of the PlaidBerry. Though the moral of this story is much bigger than the name. At some point, I believe that all the proverbial pieces of the puzzle will come together and it will all make sense. We should expect to feel a certain sense of "A-ha! So that's what I meant by that or that's why this happened to me". The key is to pay attention along the way so we don't miss these moments altogether.

Comments:
Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »
 
I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?