Monday, March 28, 2005

 

The Road to Irrelevancy

I can’t say that I’m terribly surprised, but “The World According to Michael Moore” is now crumbling. Let’s call it a blogumentary in real-time…

4/14/2004: Michael Moore states:

The Iraqis who have risen up against the occupation are not "insurgents" or "terrorists" or "The Enemy." They are the REVOLUTION, the Minutemen, and their numbers will grow -- and they will win.

2/3/2005: Khaleej Times Online: "Iraqi village takes up arms against insurgents, killing five" (Link via Arthur Chernoff)

MAHMUDIYAH, Iraq - Inhabitants of an Iraqi village killed five insurgents who attacked them for taking part in the country’s historic election, police said on Thursday.

3/22/2005: New York Times: “Ordinary Iraqis Wage a Successful Battle Against Insurgents”

Just before noon today, a carpenter named Dhia saw a troop of masked gunmen with grenades coming towards his shop and decided he had had enough. … In the fierce gun battle that followed, three of the insurgents were killed, and the rest fled just after the police arrived. Says Dhia, ‘…I am waiting for the rest of them to come and we will show them.’

3/28/2005: Washington Times: "Pentagon Begins to See Iraq Momentum Shift" (link via PowerLine)

A Pentagon official said the more that intelligence agencies analyze the insurgency, the clearer it becomes that a large part is criminal, not nationalistic.

As for the prediction that the Iraqi insurgents will win, well that's not seeming to pan out too well either... Lawrence Kaplan at the New Republic offers this assessment (Hat tip: Instapundit):

…over the past month, the news from Iraq has been unusually good. Depending on which military official you ask, insurgent attacks have dropped by either a third or nearly half. The number of Americans killed in action has declined. Civilians have begun killing terrorists.

So what exactly does the outspoken Mr. Moore do when a central tenant of his vitriolic screed has been so completely discredited? (crickets chirping) Actually, Moore may have provided us a foreshadowing of his response in this article:

Jeez, I think I'm right. The things I believe in, I believe strongly enough in them and I think I'm right. When I'm wrong, then I change my mind and I'm right again.

Well, come to think of it, honesty and humility never were his strong suits.

UPDATE: I suppose there is no better arbiter of the general mood within Iraq than the Iraqis themselves. So here's a new poll that - amazingly (me feigning disbelief) - has managed to slip under the radar of the New York Times and the rest of the MSM. Fortunately, Chrenkoff offers all the Iraqi news that's fit to blog.

For some people, it may help to have a visual in order to best understand just how the heroes of Moore's world are faring.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?