Thursday, March 31, 2005

 

The Real Deal

I could try to explain why I find Ronald Reagan to be such an amazing inspiration. However, any attempts to do so would be feeble in comparison to the words of those who actually knew him. There is no more articulate friend of Reagan than Peggy Noonan.

She has a glorious way with words and is always insightful and worth reading. I've recently finished When Character Was King (A Story of Ronald Reagan) and would highly recommend it to anyone seeking to learn more about one of the greatest presidents in this country's history.

There are two gripping quotes from those that knew Reagan well that, in my opinion, really capture his essence. The first is from Marion Jorgensen, a friend of the family:
...the key about Ronnie is this: I knew him as a movie actor, as a governor of the state of California, as President of the United States, and the thing about him is he never changed. He was humble. He had no sense of entitlement. It wasn't about him, ever.

Rush Limbaugh (me clearing throat...subject for another day) echoed that sentiment, in speaking of Reagan:
And what I finally figured out was there was no image creation. There was no image. There was just genuine Ronald Reagan, and that's what cut through all the noise.

And then there was this self-assessment from Reagan himself:
I never thought of myself as a great man, just a man committed to great ideas....There is no question I am an idealist, which is another way of saying that I am an American.

Peggy Noonan offered this moving tribute to Reagan last summer shortly after he passed away. I pray God can bless us with a leader of this caliber again some day...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?